Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between the ages of 7 years and 16.
Required Days of Instruction: None.
Required Subjects: Reading, writing, literature, fine arts, math, science, history, geography, government, health, and physical education.
Home School Statute: Yes.
Home instructors must satisfy one of the following six requirements:
- Hold a Minnesota teaching license in the field and grade taught
- or Be directly supervised by a licensed teacher
- or Successfully complete a teacher competency exam
- or Provide instruction in a school that is accredited or recognized by the state board
- or Hold a baccalaureate degree
- or Be the parent of a child who is assessed according to procedures in subdivision 11 and the standardized test section below.
Teacher Qualifications: Varies depending upon option chosen.
Standardized Tests: Children not enrolled in an accredited program or public school “must be assessed using a nationally norm-referenced standardized achievement examination.” The test, administration, and location of the test must be agreed to by the district superintendent.
NOTE: Test results DO NOT have to be turned into the district.
For more information, please see the HSLDA website.