Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between the ages of 7 years and 16 (or after finishing the 8th grade).
Required Days of Instruction: 720 hours per year for grades 1-3 and, 1,080 hours per year for grades 4-12.
Required Subjects: Same “basic instructional program” as public schools.
Home School Statute: Yes.
Home Schools must:
- Maintain attendance and immunization records which must be available for inspection by the county superintendent on request
- Be in a building that complies with local health and safety regulations (for homes, not schools)
- Provide at least the minimum aggregate hours of instruction
- Annually notify the county superintendent of intent to home school
- Provide an organized course of study
Teacher Qualifications: None.
Standardized Tests: None.
For more information, please see the HSLDA website.